This is a close up of a Common Hogweed, aka Cow Parsnip.
Like it's big brother, the Giant Cowsnip, it's sap can cause blisters in combination with sunlight but much less so.
If you leave it alone it's a beautiful large plant with big, white clusters of flowers. I'd love to have it as a feature in my garden any time!

Like it's big brother, the Giant Cowsnip, it's sap can cause blisters in combination with sunlight but much less so.
If you leave it alone it's a beautiful large plant with big, white clusters of flowers. I'd love to have it as a feature in my garden any time!
Checker Mallow on the left and Common Hogweed on the right.
The wild roses are starting to flower as well:
Since the weather was nice on mother's day we decided to go back to the Miller Woods Conservation area just west of Mcminnville where we hiked half of the trails last February.At that time we walked the trails on the right side of this map, so this time we went for the ones on the left:
The scenery was quite different from last time when everything was still in winter-mode where as now the grass was lush and green and all the trees had leaved.
Other than the right loop, the trail on the left is somewhat more hilly and mostly in the shade of a thick forest.
The trail zigzags up and down, slowly climbing to it's highest point.
We took a break at the top where we found a convenient bench to sit and enjoy our coffee and, of course, our pie!
I'd made a Strawberry-rhubarb, with our very own, homegrown, rhubarb and it was delicious!
Surprisingly enough , we had cell-phone service, so I succeeded in making a quick call to my mam to wish her a happy mother's day.
Making our way down through the woods we encountered several joggers but not many other people.
We heard lots of birds but didn't see much wildlife, a couple of bunnies was all.
We went for an other hike today, again to an area we'd visited before and again to hike the other part of a loop, but I leave that for next post.
And despite the rather strenuous walk (the one of today), James felt the urge to clean the truck, and so he did:
We'd planned to clean the truck, car and RV on the memorial weekend and I guess we now have to do one less.
Works for me. And yes, I helped a little today, cleaning the sides in the back ... but only after a short nap .. hey, I'm 65 now, I need a nap ...

No comments:
Post a Comment