Translate

Sunday, May 10, 2026

 

The red clover is flowering and the bumble-bees are having a hay-day!

                                                              

I of course went out in the field to pick some and had to be careful not to get stung. 
I actually thought at one time they did but it turned out to be a a thistle, of which there were quite a few mixed in with the flowers. 
Nature ... no Eden without a snake!

I forgot to show off my beautiful hanging baskets in last week's post, so here they are:



As usual I took a risk and bought them rather early, before Mother's day, but Bimart had them on sale for $10 off ($19 instead of $29) and checking the forecast it looked like it wasn't going to freeze anymore so I thought I'd be safe ... famous last words!

But aren't they gorgeous? Now to keep them like that ..



We're having quite a warm spring so far, temperatures are already in the 70s, all trees are flowering and our most of the 'snowbirds' have already returned.

The Goldfinches are back:

        

I had to make a mad dash into the shed to dig up the bag of thistle-seeds, their favorites, since I'd not expected to see them yet!

And just when I had them taken care off this Black-headed Grossbeak showed up:



They love sunflower seeds, which I'm out of, so I better get some this week!

This next one I fortunately don't have to feed, he has three ponds full of bullfrogs to his disposal and he is welcome to eat every single one of them!

                                                                     

I was typing away at my keyboard when out of the corner of my eye I saw something, or rather things, moving in the pond:


OMG, cuteness overload!

To my utter surprise she than proceeded to lead them all out of the water, over the dam, and then down the (steep!) slope to the lower pond!



She's one brave mama! I sure hope she'll get to keep all of them, there are so many hungry predators about!

Like this one for instance, although for him it would be more of a game to chase them around ... he's not a big hunter. He's still a bit of a klutz, mostly just clowning around ..



And look what followed me all the way down and back on my walk this week:

                                 

This dog belongs to the owners of the Whiskey distillery here on the road. Her name is Potato!
Apparently when they first saw her as a week old pup she looked like yes, a potato.. I can sort of see that .. and I guess it stuck!

I guess that was all for this week .. oh, I unpacked both sets of hearing aids and am trying them out as we speak:




At first I tried the ones on the left and I liked them well enough but than I switched to the ones on the right and OMG, they are so much more comfortable. 
They're smaller to begin with, which is nicer/lighter for my ears, but the sound is more 'real' as well, if that makes any sense and I barely notice I have them in!
So of course now I'm leaning towards the latter.
They both cost the same, although only because the ones on the right are partly covered by my insurance. 

We'll see, I'll give it some more time before I decide .. in the meantime, I can hear so much better with each of them and that's quite an experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment