Translate

Sunday, July 19, 2026



We're over a month in summer and although the temperatures have been blessedly 'moderate' nature is starting to look somewhat parched around the edges already.
The big thistle in my 'lawn' is flowering profusely now and the bees are buzzing in and around it ..

                                     

Some of the flowers are already spend and their fluffy seeds are starting to fly in the wind. 
I try to catch some of it before it can spread and I've seen the Goldfinches going for them as well!
                                                                 

                    
                                           
The pond is receding rapidly which gives room for the annual appearance of Penny-royal, also called mosquito plant or pudding grass, on the banks:

           

Penny-royal is a pungent mint that spreads rapidly along the ground which grows in flooded or seasonally wet areas. 
Their tiny leaves send out the aroma of mint when brushed or stepped on and its lavender flowers 
are very attractive to bees.
I picked some for inside but the smell might be a little too pungent ... we'll see.

The first blackberries are ripening. They look better than they taste though, most are still a tad too sour:

                          

The temperatures have been on the rise for a few days now and today we reached 85F.
Thank goodness for AC!
The birds are happily splashing in the birdbaths, from which until now they've mostly only been drinking ... 


        

 I guess they get hot as well ...

                           

                           


We went Blueberry picking at Wallace Farm on Friday, when it was a surprisingly cool, overcast day.
The bushes were overloaded with beautiful, large and ripe berries which made for very easy and fast picking.

                                                                    No photo description available.

It took us only an hour to pick the 2 gallons we'd set our limit to! Despite having a little freezer in the shed, we just don't have enough space for more.
After washing, freezing and packaging we ended up with 12.6 pounds, 0.6 more than last year, which (if we're a little frugal, but hey, I'm Dutch) should get us through the winter.



Talking about winter, I baked something we usually only eat in winter, and very specifically only at Old/New Year's .... oliebollen!



In my hometown of Den Helder in the Netherlands there's a yearly 'Kermis' (Fun Fair) that takes place in July. 
Besides all the rides and other food stalls there's always an 'oliebollenkraam' and I would never miss the opportunity to get some.

Each year I say I'll bake them in the summer, to keep up that tradition, but I never do.
But guess what? This year I did! (Only a little late since the Kermis was 2 weeks ago but who's counting?)

Yum, yum, yum!

I 'only' made half a batch (12 balls), which was a lot faster than the full one I make for New Years, and it was so easy to do that I really don't know why I never did it before ..

Next year .. no more excuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment